How does coaching work?
My approach to health coaching involves a combination of motivational interviewing, examining beliefs, expanding consciousness, integrating new knowledge and exquisite attention.
Here are some specific characteristics of coaching:
- motivation to change behaviour is elicited from you, and not imposed from without
- we examine readiness to change and find approval for where we are, and where we want to go
- we examine ambivalence and decide how to resolve it
- the coach- client relationship is a partnership more than an expert/recipient role
Strategies focus on:
- understanding your typical lifestyle, perspectives, and barriers to change
- providing specific information, tools, and resources based on your situation or concerns
- eliciting further concerns and assisting with decision making
-supporting your self- sufficiency